Tuesday, March 12, 2013

So much for New Year resolutions...

Um, so as a friend recently pointed out, I haven't posted in over a year. And one of my resolutions was to post at least once a month. Obviously THAT didn't happen. As for my other resolution? Let's just say it was about as successful as my blog resolution. :)

So, what happened in 2012? Well, the world DIDN'T end.

Huey started work at Cavalli Pizzeria. It's a family owned, authentic Italian pizza place that also serves other stuff, like tapas (small plates). It's pretty good. Huey helps to come up with many of their weekend specials. He started off as a line cook, and is now Sous Chef.

I reached 28 students. I LOVE my job! Planning recitals is stressful for me, but definitely worth it!


Huey and I were called to be primary teachers. We started off with the 5-6yr olds. Then there were a bunch of boundary changes, and we were "moved" from 3rd ward to 2nd ward. We went right back to primary, this time teaching the 6-7yr olds. In January we got to "advance" with our class, so now we get to help prepare them for baptism! We have 4 boys and 1 girl in our class, and I think we have the best class in Primary! Our primary is tiny. We have about 20-25 kids that regularly come. That's our whole primary.

 
Last April, my mom and I got to "drop off" my Grandma Larkin for her mission in SLC! She is serving at the family history library. It was a fun girls trip. My mom drove up with Grandma, and I flew up a few days later to meet them. We spent a bunch of time helping Grandma get all settled in, making sure she had everything she needed, before driving her car back to Texas. (She didn't want to keep her car with her.)\




While we were in Utah, we were able to meet up with some friends we hadn't seen in a long time! One of them, my friend Sarah, has been my friend for almost 20 years! Wow, I feel old saying that. AND I got to see my awesome friend Steven, who used to live in TX!




 We also attended the temple in Draper, which was neat, since I hadn't been there before, and it helped me get closer to a goal I had set when I was in YW. I had wanted to attend/visit every temple in the world. It was a more achievable goal back then, before all these smaller temples started popping up! :) Now I would just like to visit as many as I can.



Hmmm, what else happened? Oh yeah, in October our apartment building caught on fire. And no smoke alarms in the entire building went off.  I'm just glad I was home! It was a Sunday night, so I was home with Buddy, and Huey was at work. Someone started banging on my neighbor's door, and then my door, and then my neighbors door, and then mine again! At first I wasn't going to answer it. I mean, I was home by myself, it was dark, and someone was banging on my door! I looked out the peephole, and saw the flashing lights of the fire trucks. So I opened the door. The man there said the building was on fire, and everyone needed to evacuate. Um, ok! You know how you get asked, if there was an emergency, what would you take with you? Well, I found out what I would take: My dog, my keys, and my phone. That's it. I didn't even grab my wallet with my ID, or any important papers. It was close to freezing that night, and I didn't even grab some socks and shoes - I put on flip flops because they were quick! Sheesh. It was long, cold night. Thankfully our apartment didn't suffer any damage, because we were on the very end of the building. The fire originated in the apartment 2 apartments over and below us. All we had was a very smelly apartment for a few days. We weren't able to come back home until the Tuesday after the fire, because all electricity and water had been shut off. Oh yeah, that's another thing. A main water line broke the night of the fire.
SO thankful we didn't suffer the worst of it. People in 8 apartments lost their homes that night. Only one guy I wasn't sad to see leave... he had had 8 or 9 people living in his 1 bedroom apartment! And he had been busted for drugs at least twice! So I was thankful he was gone!




That was probably the most "exciting" thing that happened.

In December our complex held another patio decorating contest. We felt sure we would finally win 1st place this year! We did a pretty awesome job with the lights (if I do say so myself!), and we even had them hooked up to a "Lights and Sounds of Christmas" thing, so that they did a little light show coordinated to Christmas songs!
 But alas, we did not win 1st. Again. We won 3rd. Again. And I couldn't believe who beat us! We had a light show!  And no one else did!

Here's our back porch with the lights...

And I wish I still had pictures of what beat us, but just trust me when I say, it was totally ghetto.

Good thing in December: we went to our first Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert, and it was awesome! We have decided we want to make it a tradition to go every year they come to Dallas!

Okay, that's it for now, hopefully I'll be better about posting in 2013 than I was in 2012.

1 comment:

Denise C said...

I love the update! Even if it did take a long time...I've had a bit of a dry spell myself of late! ;)